The Angaston & Penrice Historical Society was formed in 1997 with the objective to promote interest in the history and heritage of the Barossa’s Angaston & Penrice area.  We answer family and local history queries and the archive can be viewed by appointment.  We also conduct heritage walks of Angaston and have several books for sale.

CONTACT US

Bill Gransbury

08 8564 3222
Box 337 Angaston, SA 5353

MEETINGS

7.30pm
4th Tuesday of the Month
Old Union Chapel 21 Penrice Rd, Angaston

DODDRIDGE BLACKSMITH

Our volunteers man the A&H Doddridge blacksmith shop in the main street of Angaston, which has been a fundamental part of life since it was established on the present site by John Doddridge in 1873. Representing an important part of the community’s heritage, it is now a heritage-listed site and is one of only four blacksmith shops in South Australia. READ MORE HERE

OLD UNION CHAPEL

Nestled in the Angaston hills, the Old Union Chapel was built in 1844 as a multi-denominational place of worship. It was given to the community by South Australian pioneer and committed believer in religious freedom, George Fife Angas who also gave Angaston its name. The oldest public building in the Barossa Valley, over the years the chapel has been used for many purposes – as a public meeting place, dried fruit store, a home during WWII when there was a shortage of housing, a shearing shed and a garage. It was fully restored from 1989 to 1994 by volunteers and tradespeople and was reopened 150 years after it was built as a tribute to the pioneers of the district.  The chapel has an attractive garden, off-street parking, toilet facilities, small meeting room/kitchen and a chapel with pews. It makes an ideal venue for functions and is available for hire through The Barossa Council for weddings, naming ceremonies, memorial services, meetings, exhibitions, concerts and other celebrations. It is open to all denominations and has seating for 100 people with a kitchen and toilet facilities (including disabled).